You can’t always prevent a car accident from occurring, however, you can always be prepared. Since car accidents involve insurance companies, both drivers need to collect the necessary information. Stay calm and follow these six simple steps to insure you have all your bases covered in the unfortunate event of a car accident.
1. The most important thing is to stay calm at all times. Letting the emotions get out of control will only make the situation worse, and make it harder to take care of the things that need to be done.
2. Make sure you and your passengers are okay and not injured. While it is important to move as far off the road as possible, it is also important—if not more so—to remain at the scene of the accident. If operable, turn on your car’s hazard lights or use a flares.
3. Alert the appropriate authorities by calling 911 right away.
4. Report the accident to your insurance company regardless of whether or not you think you are ticketed or think you are at fault, including where the vehicle was moved to. The reporting police officer should give you a sheet stating which tow company moved the vehicle and how to reach them. The sooner the insurance company knows, the sooner they can start working to resolve the claim.
5. Do not admit fault to anyone. Factually report what occurred only to the police and your insurance company
6. Finally, collect the information from all parties at the scene, including any witnesses. Exchange contact and insurance information with the other driver, and get the names of any passengers as well.